The Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) on Wednesday took into custody former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, shortly after his release by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Sources at the EFCC confirmed on Wednesday night that El-Rufai, who had been in the custody of the commission since Monday, was released but was immediately picked up by ICPC operatives.
“We have released him today, but he was shortly picked up after he was released by ICPC,” a source said.
El-Rufai had arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja at about 10 a.m. on Monday for questioning and was held until Wednesday.
Efforts to obtain official confirmation from the ICPC were unsuccessful as calls to its spokesman, John Odey, were not answered.
El-Rufai’s lawyer, A.U. Mustapha (SAN), neither confirmed nor denied the development when contacted.
“It is too late to talk. Let’s talk tomorrow,” he said.
Attempts to reach his media aide, Muyiwa Adeleye, were unsuccessful as his telephone line was unreachable.
Meanwhile, the Department of State Services (DSS) has reportedly been on standby over the planned arraignment of El-Rufai on allegations bordering on unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA) and the reopened investigation into the disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata.
On Monday, the Federal Government filed criminal charges against El-Rufai before the Federal High Court, Abuja, over alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of the NSA, Nuhu Ribadu.
The three-count charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, was filed under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
The charge sheet alleged that El-Rufai admitted during a television interview that an unnamed associate unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s phone communications and that he listened to them.
According to the charge sheet, the alleged admission was made on February 13, 2026, when El-Rufai appeared as a guest on Arise TV Prime Time programme in Abuja.
In count one, the Federal Government alleged that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that he and his associates unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s phone communications, an offence punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes Act.
Count two accused him of knowingly associating with an individual who unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s communications without reporting the person to the relevant authorities, contrary to Section 27(b) of the Act.
Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large used technical equipment in Abuja in 2026 to unlawfully intercept the NSA’s communications, an offence punishable under Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act.
The charges followed El-Rufai’s appearance on Arise TV last Friday, during which he stated, “Ribadu made the call because we listened to their calls. The government thinks that they are the only ones who listen to calls. But we also have our ways.”
Separately, the DSS reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Dadiyata, a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State, who was declared missing on Aug. 1, 2019, after gunmen reportedly took him from his residence in Kaduna. His whereabouts remain unknown.
A security source said the DSS recently seized El-Rufai’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, to prevent him from travelling abroad.
“Former governor El-Rufai claimed that until Dadiyata’s disappearance, he did not know anyone by that name. However, social media posts by his sons suggest otherwise,” the source said.
The source added that investigators were examining social media posts made by El-Rufai’s sons, Bello and Bashir, following Dadiyata’s disappearance, noting that they would be invited to assist with the investigation.